We strongly believe that gold is just the perfect material for jewellery. The metal is strong and at the same time it is flexible and can be made into just any design you want. Considering the qualities that gold exhibits, we understand the craze and why people go gaga over it. Was wondering how well we know about the things we’re specifically so obsessed about. So, we decided to compile some interesting facts about gold and jewellery that are bound to blow your mind.
1. The word "gold" comes from the Old English word "geolu," meaning yellow.
2. Gold can be found beneath the earth on all seven continents.
3. It is believed that around 80% of the earth's gold is still buried underground.
4. South Asian jewellery is generally more pure than western jewellery, comprised of 22 carat gold rather than 14 carat.
5. 24 carat gold is 99.9% pure, and most US and European jewellers think it’s too soft for jewellery. But 24 carat gold is the norm across Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
6. The world’s first gold vending machine was unveiled in May 2010. Located in an ultra-luxury hotel in Abu Dhabi, the vending machine itself is covered in 24-carat gold.
7. The most expensive gold coin in the world is the 1933 Double Eagle, which was sold at Sotheby's in New York in 2002 for $7.59 million.
8. Evidence suggests that around 5,000 B.C., gold and copper became the first metals to be discovered by man.
9. 18k gold is less pure than 24k, 14k is less pure than 18k, and so on. As a jewellery making metal, gold purity usually ranges from 10k to 24k.
10. Throughout the history, jewellery went through many changes brought by rise and fall of many civilizations and fashion changes.
Now that you are a little more aware on gold as you have had a chance to read through our facts about gold and jewellery specifically, it’s time to visit PGIJS and explore the unexplored at the first International jewellery exhibition in Penang.